Review wins two state awards
The Osakis Review was honored with two awards in the Minnesota Newspaper Association's 2015-2016 Better Newspaper Contest.
The Review's website — www.theosakisreview.com — earned a second place award for Best Website for weekly newspapers with circulation of up to 2,500.
"Nice looking website. Good use of video," noted the judges, who randomly visited newspaper websites a minimum of three times.
The website award was based on the following criteria:
• Content — quality of news and editorial matter.
• Navigation — ease of finding and retrieving information from the website.
• Visual appeal and design — layout, use of graphics, photographs, animation, color and other visuals.
• Advertising — innovative strategies and/or evidence of revenue generation.
• Community — demonstration that the website fulfills a "community gatekeeper" role.
The Review also received a first place award for Best Self-Promotion or House Ad for weeklies up to 2,500 circulation. Circulation Manager Lynn Mounsdon received recognition for an advertisement that promoted a subscription special during the Douglas County, which included a free meal from the Corral Saloon and Eatery.
"I like the combination of graphic elements here and the large, clear copy of the publication," said a judge. "It is clear right at the top how much a subscription is. People are invited to come see the staffers at the fair. A clip-out coupon is part of the package. All around nice use of all of the space and appealing to the eye."
The awards were presented during the newspaper association's annual convention and awards banquet in Bloomington on Jan. 25-27.
The 2015-2016 awards cover a specific timeline, Sept. 1, 2015, through Aug. 31, 2016.